Friday, April 22, 2011

Notes on childhood memories

“Mom, tell me a story about when you were a little kid”
Or when Oma or Opa or Kirstin or Derrick were little kids

Story about boiling Kalanen’s turtle, his dad asking if I ate it

About Opa being a Nazi (a “Good” Nazi) and leading the Jews out of the village; merging with Opa liberating his female gymnastics team from dresses and starting a scandal running through the village with them in pants; these two stories merging until we have Opa boisterously leading the Jews through and out of the village, them following him like grown-up children of Hamlyn, all wearing white pants.

The tree trunk and magic ointment

Rain dance

Flying down the stairs

The Sandman

Dad saving Opa’s life

Opa and the rotten rabbit parts

Mom orphaned at the age of 4

Mom’s grandmother “I hate you, I wish you were dead”

Being beaten at the top of the stairs – 10 strokes

Dad hammering a hole in his head

Me breaking my wrist

Nearly breaking both legs playing frisby

Dad gathering berries for money and fun

Oma’s collection of Mutterkreuzen – official breeder for Hitler

Starting a new religion at age 5

Flipper the Fish

The Girl Who Fell in the Plumpsklo

The Girl With the Violin Case
Concentration Camp for Opa (Christmas and Dysentery)

The Day I Panicked at School (losing my vision)

No comments:

Post a Comment